Thursday, December 7, 2017

There will always be a delay.

Never sit down at your computer to check email, social media or your blog when you're supposed to be shooting in a few minutes.

We're trying to finish up filming on "The Simplest Things", Season 2 (watch Season 1 here), when my messenger dinged.  I checked it and it turned into a legal conversation about something I filmed  years ago.  Friendly stuff, because I try to work with friendly people, but it involved looking up paperwork, checking on some agreements between several parties and leaving things as "we'll keep looking into it", which I'm not a fan of.  I like close ended discussions so I feel like things got solved.

Anyway, now I'm about an hour behind my already loose schedule.

Whenever you schedule a shoot, expect delays.  Expect things to come up.  Buffer.

Today's shoot is all indoors, mostly studio, so time of day doesn't really matter and the cast and crew are all "in house" (Me and mine), so an hour isn't a big worry, but on a shoot with multiple set ups and locations and people meeting in different places at different times, it can really set off a domino effect if you're not padded for it.  As indies we tend to try and squeeze in more than we can possibly do.  Make sure you have a fall back plan, some free time between locations and people who know who to contact at the next set up in case you're running late.

A set manager who an prepare most things before you and main cast members arrive can be helpful in situations like this.  It's a good time to give someone you trust some responsibility and see how they run with it.

Now I've delayed things a bit more, so I'd better go.  Forgive the typos.

-Jason


No comments:

Post a Comment