Tuesday, December 12, 2017

DO Have That First Cup of Coffee

I'm here to tell you that no good comes from skipping "that first cup of coffee" or whatever  your morning wake-up ritual is.  Taking a shower, doing push-ups, walking the dog or whatever else it is that you do to let your brain start working before you start working is worth the time.

Some of you know that I run a few businesses from home.  Obviously, Hocus Focus Productions, our little video and movie production company is one of them.  The other is a house rental company I run with my wife, Little Creek Rentals, LLC.

Hocus Focus Productions actually consists of a few sub-businesses.  Photography and video for hire, book publishing ( we haven't done a lot of that) and production of our own movies and shows.  Little Creek is also a bit of a double business with a vacation rental and a residential rental.

This morning I woke  up to an inquiry about the vacation rental and tried to respond (quick response times are "rewarded" on most of these automated websites) and totally dropped the ball.  I accidentally sent payment requests because I guess I forgot to uncheck an box.  I should have waited until I was fully awake.

Since I had to come into my office to fix that problem because obviously I was too tired or too daft to use the APP properly, I decided to check on email, which led to me seeing that I could promote my book, "Off the Rails and Other Tales" in new ways on Amazon.  I decided I'd give that a shot.  The book has been out for years, sales were down, but with Christmas around the corner, it seems like a good time for a sale.

I visit the page.  I realize I haven't been there in awhile, and have no idea what my sign in info is.  I finally figure that out and it wants me to reload the book file.  No idea why, but I decide to do it.  First I have to find the file, from years ago and apparently a different computer.  Luckily I had moved the archived files to this machine and after some searching I think I found the right file.  More filling out of forms and I get to the promotions selection.  I click it, but my book is too inexpensive.  I have to raise the price, so that I can put it on sale.  What?!  Why am I get emails about a promotion I can't participate in?  Mind you, this was specifically sent as a "Promote it before Christmas shopping ends
 kind of deal.  So, I raise the price, so that I can run the promotion.

I FINALLY get to the promotion page.  I can't start the promotion until the book has been at the new, higher, less likely to sell price, for 30 days.  Do that Math, gang.  Nearly two weeks after Christmas shopping I can have a competitive price again.

Nearly two hours and all I've done is create more work for myself, overprice my ebook (if it's still 99 cents, grab it now), lose a booking on my cabin and write this blog.  I'll bet it needs a lot of editing, but I'm going to post it now to keep in my true form for the day.

Meanwhile, I'm going to brew some coffee, play with dog and maybe do a couple of push-ups.

We'll be posting a video to our YouTube channel later today


While you wait for that, enjoy this: 





No comments:

Post a Comment