Monday, December 18, 2017

Filmmaking and Your Ego

We've all got an ego.  Its size and health may be different from person to person.  Whether or not it's deserved or not is usually a matter of opinion, sometimes based on fact.  The main thing about it, whether it's strong or fragile, our egos can get in the way of our every day lives.



The first thing you need to do with your ego if you want to get into filmmaking is throw that sucker away.  You should have confidence.  Take pride in your work, like with any job, but don't let your self worth rest on reactions to your films or how financially successful they are.  Failure is part of learning and I have learned a lot in my life.

But seriously, if you're making movies to be famous, or rich, then independent may not be the market for you.  Go to Hollywood where ego stroking of the rich and famous is the way the business is run (although that looks to be changing soon).

Have confidence that you're doing your best.
Do try to entertain.
Do craft a good story.
And do continue to have faith in your own abilities and those of the people you choose to continually work with.

Do not give up on a project for fear it may be "silly".
Don't be afraid to look a bit silly yourself.

This morning I did an "Inside HFP" video in my pajamas and in need of a shave.  Was it the most professional image I could put out there?  No, but it's me.  I often work in my pajamas and do a darn good job of it.  I have lots to do this morning and probably would have skipped on the video if I didn't get it done when and how I did it.  My Ego said, "Forget it.  You'll look stupid."  My 46 year old sense of what others think said, "Eh."  If I had a branding agent, she would have scolded me, but I can't afford one, so there  ya go.

I guess, maybe,  you should go to the trash, scoop out your ego, dust it off and keep it for times  you need it, but realize, it's yours.  A tool to use as you wish and set aside when it gets in the way.

Now, go watch me drink coffee, babble about advertisers on YT and see a sneak clip from Jack vs Lanterns on the screen in the background. 

No comments:

Post a Comment