Friday, December 15, 2017

Destined to be Holiday Classic

Well, maybe that's giving it too much credit, but  hopefully those who find it will enjoy it.



If you read yesterday's blog you know that I had an early morning inspiration to film a Holiday Themed movie, edit it and have it online before nightfall.  It was my goal for the day, film-wise.  I still haven't gotten it posted to Amazon Video Direct, because I need to caption it.  I should be able to achieve that today, as it's only 5 minutes and is largely "silent" until the end.  This being a Friday, however, means that if I get it posted today, tomorrow or early Sunday, doesn't make a difference.  It will be lucky to hit Amazon as "published by Thursday of next week, so I will make sure I get the rest of my day done first.

To be sure it can be enjoyed for the  holidays, I am posting it here.  Since it's only five minutes, give it a watch before  you decide whether or not to show it to the kiddies.

A few details about the short.
-Since I didn't really have much time to cast, I played both roles.  That sort of dictated how the "fight scene" was choreographed.
-The script was never written down.
-The snow footage was footage I shot last weekend to have as "stock" footage in case I needed it.  I adjusted the color and lighting to give it a more "night time" look since it was shot late morning or early afternoon.
-The Music is from Fresh Music Library's "Holiday Sampler".  Very handy this time of year.
-I bought the Santa suit YEARS ago three days after Christmas for 75% off (I think).  I need to upgrade the wig and beard if I plan to use it in anything "serious".  I sort of want to check Thrift Stores to see if there is a more beat up to use in things which might get it bloody.
-The entire thing was lit with a single clamp light from the "small light kit" I showed in a video at "Inside HFP" as a good starter kit.  I didn't even use a stand for it.  This was mostly to show what could be accomplished with a single 100w clamp light.  The Christmas lights were the only other lighting used.
-The dialogue was "in camera". In other words, we used the on camera mic.  This likely wouldn't have worked as well outside or with the camera further away for any important lines.

I hope you enjoyed it, gang.  Below are some more videos for you to watch, including the one on small light kits and the one from earlier the same morning when I set this up as a goal for the day.  Please visit the Hocus Focus Productions YouTube channel for more on how to make your own movies without much money.




PS, let me know if you would like or even need a video on how we did the "teleport" effect in this video.  I used a stock clip for the particles, but there are simpler ways to do it nearly as effectively and it's a handy simple little thing to have in your bag of tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment