Thursday, December 28, 2017

End of the Year Blues - Part 2: And Showeroke Makes 20

This time of year many of use start making goals for a new round of 365 days that are going to "start fresh" on January 1st.  While I think goals are a good thing, I also rant about how foolish it is that we do it once a year and often abandon those goals at the first obstacle that makes us a lose a step or two before January is even over.  That said, I did set a few goals last year and as this year closes I can see that I hit one major one.

I wanted to have 20 titles on Amazon Prime before the close of 2017.  This is mostly because I also want to hit a monetary goal with my titles, which I missed by country mile this year, and 20 titles was one of the ways to get there.  It wasn't an arbitrary number at the time I came up with it.  I had read somewhere that 20 titles were the requirement for having a subscription channel.  There are many more requirements which I would now need to hit, but hitting that 20 titles at least showed me, that even with other jobs constantly poking their noses into the mix, I could make these things happen.

"Showeroke" is just about a minute long and went live only a few days, but it makes 20 titles on PRIME.  We actually have 21 on Amazon, but "All Wrapped Up" still needs closed captions.  A second season of "The Simplest Things" is still going through approval and with weekends and holidays not being days that count towards this process, I am not optimistic that it will hit before 2018.

There were some goals I didn't hit also.  I don't have a subscription channel.  I'm still finishing "Jack vs Lanterns" ( go buy about 200 posters at www.hocfocprod.com/lumbervsjack and I can take the time off to finish it off pretty easily ).  There are three or four things in my woodshop waiting for the finishing touch and so on.  However, as Facebook memories pop-up I start to see the answer to the question, "Where did all the time go?".  Weather, medical issues, injuries and family matters often pop-up.  If the worst these things cause is a delay in production or in finishing off a cabinet rehab, I'll take it.  Many find themselves deep in debt or worse over less. (Incidentally, these also wound up answering my other end of the year question, "Where did all our money go?")

So, as the year draws to a close, I urge you all to look more towards what you DID accomplish, rather than what  you didn't.  Didn't reach any of those goals you set last  year?  Hey, you're still here.  If they're still important to  you, keep them as this year's goals.  Make some new ones.  Maybe cut  yourself some slack and make them a little easier.  Resolve to wear matching socks every day that you wear socks this year.  Promise  yourself to keep up with those 5000 mile oil changes (you'll thank  yourself later). Maybe even set a goal to watch all 20 of my movies between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018.  I mean, by then, if I stay on track, there should be at least five more to enjoy ;)

Happy end of the year, gang.  Not sure if I'll be writing any more of THIS blog this year, but new videos will be popping up on my channel pretty much until New Year's even. http://www.youtube.com/c/hocusfocusproductions



No comments:

Post a Comment