Wednesday, December 20, 2017

I can see you! Or can I?

That time of year again.  The annual visit to the eye doctor.

Eye sight is one of those things many of take for granted, but we take it less for the granted the older we get.  It used to be I needed glasses for live events because I couldn't focus sharply, quickly without them.  As I got older I started to need them more for working a monitor.  Eye pieces can just be adjusted to one specific eye, but some of my cameras don't even have an eyepiece, leaving me with an LCD to use for focusing.  Especially the smaller cameras I use in "run and gun" situations or that I have on me in less than ideal weather conditions, etc.

Also, those who know me or have followed me for awhile know, I have a chronic eye condition, that is now under complete control with meds, but that was a terrible distraction for nearly two years.  I need to see my eye doctor regularly to keep track of that and so that he can refill my prescriptions for it.

When it comes down to it, shooter, editor, director or just reviewer, my eyes are important to the work I want to do with movies.  A once a year trip to make sure they're working as well as they can and are staying in good in health really isn't too much to ask, I suppose.  Glasses on other hand can get pretty pricey, but not having them when I need them will cost me more in the long run.

So, yes, I can see  you, but if I'm not wearing my glasses, I probably can't see you too clearly.  So, if you see me on the street and I don't wave, don't think I'm being rude ( I may be, but don't think that ). If I'm wearing sunglasses, they're not prescription and  you're probably a little blurry.  If I'm wearing no glasses, same thing.  If I am wearing glasses, but have a camera around my neck or in my hand, those are likely my "close up" glasses and anything more than 10 inches away is even blurrier than if I don't wear glasses at all, but my photos will be crystal clear (if I'm paying attention) and that's what really matters.

If you really want me to wave back and shoot me a text saying something like, "That blur waving to you is me."  I'll probably smile and wave back.

And I admit, I do tend to leave my glasses off when I'm not working or watching a movie because many things look just a little bit better when they're slightly out of focus.




No comments:

Post a Comment