Saturday, December 30, 2017

End of the Year Blues - Part 3: Optimists vs Pessimists

Oops.  So, in my last blog I wrote that it might be my "last blog" for the  year.  Here we are with a whole day and then some left to 2017 and I'm blogging again.  Why?

A few reasons.  My guests are all checked in and report they're doing fine.  It's cold outside and writing is more fun than yard work would be today.  Also, I have some news to report.  This is where the optimists vs pessimists part comes in.

Optimists are generally pretty happy.  Expecting things to work out.  I used to be one of these people, I think.  If I ever had those leanings, live certainly beat them out of me.  Making me a pessimist a lot of the time, or as I look at it, a realist.  Pessimists generally seem unhappy and worried most of the time to most people, however, while optimists will often find themselves disappointed that things, in fact, don't always go to plan, pessimists more often find themselves either justified in their thinking and thus prepared for a bad outcome, or pleasantly surprised that things did indeed work out.  Optimists rarely have a plan B.  If something goes wrong, they're caught entirely off guard.  It is at t his point that they become unhappy, complain and start asking for help because they have no idea what to do.  Pessimists, however, usually have a plan B already set to go and may even have the pieces of a plan C in place should plan B fail.  When things go wrong on a prepared pessimist is when they smile to themselves, think "I knew this would happen" and move on to the next plan.  "This is what insurance is for," thinks the pessimist.  "I need a crowd funding page!" cries the optimist.  This is not to say one way of thinking is better than the other, although, realists who can be cautiously optimistic, yet prepared for things to sometimes go wrong, probably have the best balance of things.  Otherwise you're often nervous and worrying or sorely disappointed and caught unprepared.

How does this pertain to me?  Recently?  My last blog I said I wasn't optimistic that Amazon would get "The Simplest Things: Season 2" approved before the year's end.  Well, they did.  I am a pleasantly surprised, if not entirely happy, pessimist.  Why not entirely happy?  Well, the new file I uploaded because they claimed the old one "didn't sync", wasn't all that different.  I added a line and dropped a music indicator.  As far as I could tell there was no difference in how the captions sync with the audio at all.  What is different?  I amended the file's name with the word "FIXED" at the end of it in big capital letters like that.  Did they check it?  Did they check the first one?  Or did they just see the same file name and not bother to see if was, in fact a fixed file overwritten?  I can see not wanting to recheck the file on a feature, but on a two minute episode? Come on!



I believe I set it for "Free with Ads".  That only seems to be showing up on the first episode, but if you have Prime I know you can see all six.  Don't rent or buy it if the episodes only being 2 to 3 minutes long will disappoint you.


No comments:

Post a Comment