Friday, June 22, 2018

Prepare or Pounce? "This Is Space Force"

Recently President Trump announced the historic creation of a sixth branch of the military, the "United States Space Force".  Naturally the kid in me was super excited to think about laser blasting space ships protecting earth from giant meteors and flesh eating aliens.  The creative in me wanted to do something with this idea.

Of course, the whole world wanted to joke about or make a movie about the idea of  "Space Force" and when I checked IMDB I had found that a TV movie had been in made in 1978 titled "Space Force" and a film was announced in development "Space Force: The Sixth Branch".

Anybody who has ever made a movie or Television show, or any performance art, really, will tell you that preparation is the number tool to get you to a great end product.  Fortunately, I sort of live this advice day to day, so that when something like this comes up I can pounce, while still being somewhat prepared.  And thus, "This Is Space Force" (T.I.S.S.) was born.

You see, I already had a space suit.  It was on sale and I worked in a Halloween store.  I had a space helmet (several) and I own blue and green screens (sort of) .  I have been collecting NASA and public domain space footage as well as shooting miniatures for "Alien Vengeance" movies FOR YEARS.

First day I had photos and a phone shot video produced.  By the third day I had a Facebook page set up to get the title name in place and three more 1 minute video skits (of varying quality) produced and scheduled to publish.  I hope to shoot two or three more this weekend.  I'm needing to squeeze these in between day job work and classes, but the time is now or never on this project.

Meanwhile, I'm setting a tone for what I hope to be a popular web series of short episodes where the space force characters actually do things.

So, I pounced.  I could have done more if I had taken time to prepare, but the "newness" of this is already wearing off.  The world moves fast nowadays. You've got to be ready.  Whatever your genres of interest are, keep a closet full of props and playthings.  I won't have to search for spaceships or aliens or monster suits to make ThisIsSpaceForce season 1 happen.  I'm hoping some of my friends will want to participate as cast members and do cameos.  We'll see how my "networking" over the course of other movies has worked. I plan a "This Is Space Force" and "The Simplest Things" crossover for the end of "The Simplest Things" 3rd season.  Meanwhile, during all of this, I still have a lot of marketing and promotion to do for "Jack vs Lanterns" in order to get that movie to pay off and justify the third and final feature.

So, please watch, share and follow "This Is Space Force", rate "Jack vs Lanterns" on Amazon Prime and give the "The Simplest Things" a watch so I can keep having an excuse to buy endless costumes and build paper spaceships.





No comments:

Post a Comment