Monday, July 2, 2018

To Script or Adlib, Minisodes and YouTube

It's probably pretty obvious if you have visited my YouTube Channel or This Is Space Force, that I often adlib the shorter videos I produce.  Lots of improve and stream of consciousness going on there.

I do this for a few reasons. First, I usually have the concept for my YouTube instructionals and T.I.S.F skits living inside of my head for quite awhile.  I'm "writing" them during yardwork, eating, red lights, etc.  Of course, none of this gives me the opportunity to actually "write" anything out.  Second, I like the natural flow that stream of conscious gives my YouTube videos and I think the awkwardness adds to the humor in TISF.  ( I may be alone in that.)
 Third, I often shoot multiple videos at a time.  It's easier to shoot when I'm inspired and find a few moments if I don't have to memorize rigid scripts beforehand. My studio is usually a light change and seat movement away from being able to shoot either of these types of episodes now.  One of my small cameras lives down there. Memorizing key points, like in a speech, is much quicker than memorizing an entire script, especially when you've lived with the ideas for a few days before shooting.

The new problem I'm facing is that now I want to include other people in the T.I.S.F minisodes.  For one thing, it's making them longer, which I like.  But the other thing this will require for most of them, is a script.  The actors will need to know what they're signing up for and not everyone I'll be working with is an improv master.  In fact, I'm not.  I'm terrible it at.  The difference between adlibbing and improvisation is that with improv you need to anticipate and react to the other actor.  I can barely do this in regular conversations with real people, no less with trained professionals while trying to get a political idea to be funny.

I've been trying to script out a half dozen This Is Space Force minisodes, but they just don't read funny.  They're kind of stilted and definitely paced differently than previous episodes.  I guess with doubling the cast size, that should be expected.  So, I'll need to keep working on that.

The good news is, although we only have 99 "likes" for the page, we  have surpassed 101 "followers", so we will be launching Commander Guy Ramrod into space this week!

See you over at the page, gang.

Comment below with topics you'd like "This Is Space Force" to tackle.

No comments:

Post a Comment