Saturday, June 9, 2018

Change is Not My Strong Point

A lot of people might think that my reaching the very middle of middle-aged is why I'm so much like a dinosaur that hates change, but the fact is, I have never liked change.  It takes me a long time to become comfortable with people, a situation or just about anything, except a dog.  Dogs I take to right away most of the time.  Sometimes more quickly than they would like.

But, I digress.  When it's for work and a new situation comes up I usually adapt pretty quickly, but inside I'm hating it.  And in today's climate change comes hard, fast and often.  Most recently, the very simple software I have used to print on my DVD faces for years has become obsolete in my household.  I never do fancy Disc faces from the home printer.  I leave those to the On Demand companies that will be selling the bulk of our DVD-Rs.  For my cast, crew and the few people who buy directly from me, I do a simple text on white printing.  Clean, easy to read and a bit of a collector's item if the movies ever find popularity because they'll be from the "short runs". Also, there's plenty of white space left over to autograph if you run into a cast member.

I recently had to replace my tried and true printer of many years.  Ink was becoming too difficult to get and the print head is slipping.  The new machine does so much that I find it annoying.  It's wireless, so loading it manually means I get a lot of exercise because it's in a different room.  I'm fat.  I can use the steps.  Switching trays from paper to disc is like working with Legos or some other kind of connecting building block.  But the part I really hate is that it will not recognize my old software.  All of my old disc face layouts are defunct.  I have to learn new software, which gives me less control over fonts, sizes, colors, etc and leaves me feeling "bleh" about the result.   Normally I realize that the hatred for something new is a character trait and not the actual fault of the new device or software, but in this case, I'd like to know why I had more control and options with my ten year old, outdated software than I do with this new interface.  Why am I being forced to go backwards?  Why have options been lost to me?

This happens a lot with graphics and editing software.  To make it more accessible to everyone, they take away features that only "advanced users" wanted, but there's no advanced choice that I know about here.  Normally I would be glad for things to be made easier, but this just makes them boring and makes it more difficult to match the DVD to the cover, which I'm pretty happy with, BTW.  I did have to relearn this printer's sizing idiosyncrasies for the case overlay. I always include a border to make cutting DVD covers to size easier.  On first printing, this didn't print the border at all.

Next month I get to play with all of these things for the Blu-Ray.


I'd say next week, but I have some other major life changes coming  up that I'll be looking forward to until I'm going through them.  That journey starts Tuesday, so I'm trying not t stress about it at least until then. (Not entirely working.)
This may look a bit oversaturated on your screen. 
That was an adjustment to help it print brighter.

2 comments:

  1. Awsome website! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read
    some more. I am taking your feeds also

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well
    written article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post.
    I'll definitely comeback.

    ReplyDelete