Thursday, April 19, 2018

There are no days off in filmmaking.

There are no days off in filmmaking.  Okay, there are, but you don't really get to plan them.  Days off are days that get canceled due to weather or when you have to not write, plan, shoot or whatever because your "day job", home or family obligations are pulling you in a different direction.

The Plan: Today I planned as a "day off" from writing, shooting and mostly editing because my wife is off and I have a  hot water tank being installed in the basement. It's right under my office, noisy work and making Chaya, my dog, crazy.  If you read my last blog, you also know it's an expense I don't need right now.

I decided I'd work outside while they work on the house, then run some errands and then have lunch with my wife, come home, maybe edit a bit, but mostly spend the day taking care of the homestead.  A cold shower this morning, which I thought I would be fine with, proved this was not a job I could put off.

How the Plan "Went South": To start things off, they arrived about 90 minutes later than I expected.  They called to tell me that they would be about 30 minutes late.  By the time they had gotten here at least half of the work outside I planned on doing while they were here was done.

Add to that the job which was done on my wife's jeep last week seems to need a bit of adjustment.  The new brakes are smelling like they're still binding a bit. Hopefully a twenty minute adjust will do it, but it will be in the middle of the day now during those errands I was hoping to run.

Finally, even the break from film wasn't meant to be.  A potential client, which I can really use right now, called just before these guys got here.  So, a return call after the house gets quiet is in order.  It's a good change in plans, but proof that planned days off don't often happen as ENTIRE days off when you're in business for yourself, especially when you run multiple businesses at a time.

Sometimes you get away with just working the morning or evening and my wife has gotten better at covering entire days for me when I have to dedicate myself to specific other jobs.

You never know: This person that called me today is someone I spoke to years ago about maybe collaborating on something or doing a project for hire.  After a few months I honestly thought he had just changed his mind.  People sometimes lose interest in projects, especially after the estimates start coming in.

But you never know.  Will this turn into something? I hope so.  Will I be the person for the job?  I'm the person for every job, except brakes and water heaters, apparently.

Meanwhile, it looks like I have this weekend off at the cabin, so I can edit, but that can change with one person deciding they need a quick get away to the mountains, so we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment