Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Bills - What a Great Motivator!

When you're a "creative", inspiration can be hard to come by or sometimes overwhelming easy.  Some days you may not have anything you feel compelled to write about, talk about, film, paint, carve, etc, etc. Other days, you may have so many ideas swimming around in  your head that you just don't know where to start.

Inspiration to focus and get moving can be difficult to summon up for any job or business in which you make all of the decisions.  Like, managing properties or a retail business.  Some days you just won't feel like doing anything and if there's no work that immediately needs to be done it's easy to say, "I think I'll take a mental health day."

But there is one great motivator to get you off your ass and hustling.  Bills.  When  you own stuff, things break.  Some of these things you will be able to fix yourself, but others will require the touch of a professional.  In fact, lots of times a pro is the cheaper, not just easier, solution.

In a situation when three or four of these instances start to pile up, and they usually do in the Spring for me, a "mental health day" is a day when business is good.  It makes the promotional and equipment spending that runs businesses even more frightening because you want that cash for paying for repairs, but it makes every sale, rental, written word, edited sequence, booked guest, etc, feel like more of a triumph than usual because you know what that money is going to accomplish.  Saving money for a "rainy day" is nice, but grabbing an umbrella just in time to divert a deluge from soaking you is priceless.

My "Check Engine" light came on yesterday after I left work at the cabin.  I haven't had a chance to run the codes yet.  I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is, and if nothing sticks too hard, I should be able to handle it myself.  Yet it looms over me while I wait to find out.  I just had two repairs done by other people on Nancy's Jeep.  Not something I like passing off, but our new mechanic is good, reasonable and these were jobs that I was not equipped to handle on my own.

A couple of other things have decided that this is the month they need a bit of "going over" and we're still waiting on bills from the Florida rental to know what insurance covered and what it didn't.

All in all, I'm inspired to work my tail off the next few days.  Right now though, I'm waiting to get our next podcast recorded. We have a pretty cool guest today, who you will be able to read about in the CGM blog later, then we're dropping off some donated furniture from the cabin to the local Pet Rescue thrift store and hopefully after that I'll know when my appointment with a repairman is to address a rather expensive home job that will likely increase the house's value by a bit.

Anyway, if you were every considering buying a poster, DVD, or my book, this wouldn't be a bad day to do it.

Now, off to look and see if I can fit in a freelance transcription or two between scheduled gigs.

No comments:

Post a Comment