Wednesday, May 9, 2018

The Property Manager / Filmmaker Crossover

Those of you who make movies probably have an on set toolkit with the basics like Gaff Tape, Zip Ties and a Multi-Plier (or similar rool) to make quick repairs happen.  Over the years you've probably added some things that came in handy on a specific occasion which you can see happening again.  I keep a hot glue gun, some glue sticks and liquid latex handy on shoots involving props or monster suits. I generally carry some patch up paint too and instant glue too. Most of these things don't fix problems permanently, but they fix them for the moment.  They allow you to rig things to get through the shoot.

If "time is money", down time on a set is lost money and most films, especially indies, can't afford much of it.  The trick is to remember what needs permanent fixing later or you wind up with an on set failure  you could have avoided.  The person who can "fix anything" quickly, neatly and safely, especially in an isolated environment, is handy to have on set.

Often this person has to "think outside the box".  I know it's a tired, overused phrase, but it applies in some situations.  Way back on the set of "Hoodoo for Voodoo" ( Available Here ), we had a shot that needed a test tube.  Somehow it got broken before we got the shot.  Tight budget, so we only had the one.  I think it was a Sunday, so our resources for getting a replacement were limited.  Two production assistants were running all over town looking for a chemistry set at toy shops and Wal-Marts (You can find them at Michael's and Barnes and Nobles sometimes, FYI), but to no avail.  Finally, someone, it may have been me, thought of cigar cases.  One of the crew knew where a good tobacco shop was and they streaked over to get there before it closed.  Watch that test tube carefully.  It used to hold a pretty expensive cigar.  The shot was made and the day was saved.

Rental housing isn't too different.  Tenants, and especially vacationing guests, want things working A.S.A.P. If you can help it, you never want them to experience things broken. Sometimes you can get a pro out in time.  Sometimes you can't.  Certain things, like electrical concerns or gas heaters, have to be left to the professionals for safety's sake, but a squeaky door or stuck window can be fixed "for now" and dealt with permanently later.

Today, this was more of a home situation, but I was doing the lawn and the little guard on the side that keeps grass and rocks from ejecting and hitting me in the face, popped off.  I ran the mower about two seconds without it and decided that it wasn't a good idea. (I wear protective eyewear whenever I work outside, but I don't like to push it.) I was home, so I had my choice of wire (always keep some strong, but bendable wire with you) and zip ties.  I went with the wire, but the flexibility of the zip ties probably would have worked.  Anyway, five minutes later I was mowing again.  Not as important here as if I had driven out to the property to cut the lawn and the mower went down.  It's 20 minutes to Home Depot, then I would have to buy the new mower. I'd lose about an hour to 90 minutes of prime daylight work time.  Forget it if I had to order a part.  Two guests would be there before I could cut the lawn. The situation here though was that the weather has been unpredictable and I need to mow the lawn when I can so the HOA doesn't get made about my long grass.

Creative fixing and experience saves time and keeps things on schedule.  Schedules are hard to make and even harder if you have to keep breaking them.

So, when you meet your Mr. Fix It or Girl Friday.  Your one person who can creatively keep things moving on your set or on your property, safely, cleanly and affordably, hold on to that person.  Work with them whenever you can and learn what they have to show you, because some day, they'll move on and you'll be left with a roll of a duct tape, a coil of wire, some scissors and a rock and have to figure out how to repair that tripod someone stepped on while you were unloading the equipment truck (or your friend's Mom's station wagon).  Maybe you should add some flashlights to your handy bag.

Go watch some of my movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment