Wednesday, January 17, 2018

YouTube Just Shot My Duck - Metaphorically Speaking

If you read my last blog you know the ducks I'm talking about.  If not (and that's a larger group), go read it now.

One of the problems with digital filmmaking and distribution is it is an every moving target.  The "big wigs" on the corporate end, who put your content in front of eyes and pay you for those eyes, change the rules.  In fact, this the case with any side gig, job, career or business that relies on other, larger, internet or app based businesses to make money.  As they figure out ways to pull more the profit from more people, they edge out the smaller business people who can't keep up.  So, if you're using a rideshare, homeshare or any other platform that really runs your business through a different business, be aware, they can turn your income upside down at any given time.

YouTube recently shut down the money making potential of any channel that didn't have 1000 subscribers.  We're far below that number, but recently gained 9. That's more than a 3% increase in just about two weeks.  We would get to our thousand if we kept at it, but should we?

Strange and simple as my videos may be, they still take a significant part of my day and more so my computer time, to make.  As promotional tools they're useless if YouTube doesn't put them in front of people and YouTube won't put them in front of people unless we have the subscribers to be partners and make money for them.  Basically, they've made it a non paying endeavor.

Vidme is gone and I'm not sure I can embed Facebook videos here (I'll try that)

It's a shame really, because I had an idea for some cooking videos I was going to do with  my wife, I was enjoying the review videos ( I will do one more because I already put the work into readying the studio) and I spent an entire month hitting that 300 video goal.

Now, it seems, except for the 3 or 4 people I seemed to have entertained, I wasted my time.  I do appreciate those who watched though.

I put that duck in the middle of the row and now, he has to fall to the back of the line.  YT videos will once again be an afterthought.  Maybe that's for the best.

Please, if you were following us there, look for my Landing Page on Amazon.  I'll be putting any kind of content that might work there when I have time to caption it properly.
http://www.amazon.com/v/hocusfocusproductions

You may remember that I addressed this issue of moving targets in a YouTube video awhile back.  The difference is, back then, I was talking about Amazon Video Direct.  No online source of revenue is safe.  You're an independent contractor.  You sort of own your own business, but you're still reliant on other companies to allow you to reach and interact with customers.


No comments:

Post a Comment