Tuesday, March 16, 2021

DIY "no digital" Flying Saucer

It's been awhile.  If you've been following me on Facebook, you know last year I wanted to shoot 20 shorts.  I think I got 4 done, plus six episodes of This is Space Force.  So, halfway there?  I actually wasn't going to count individual episodes, but that makes it really sad.

I also have one in editing.  We kicked off this year with "Legacy of an Invisible Man" and have three more shorts written, cast, costumed and with locations ready.  We shoot one this Saturday and the other two are waiting on schedules.  My newest actress, Felcia Mathis, has been a huge help in getting me back on track.  We've done 5 shorts together already since November of 2020.  That averages to about one a month.  What indie filmmaker could ask for more?

But, do the instructional you're here for! 

While doing F/X for a friend of mine I realized that my assumption that every piece of video editing software and app could do basic matting was wrong.  I sent him footage of a ship on black and he had no way to drop it into his prerecorded backgrounds.  This simple set up will show you how to do it with just a model, fishing line, some background footage and a TV.  Think of it as old school rear screen projection.  My buddy and I used this back on Super 8 and VHS back in the 80s and 90s to make models (and in one case, the drawing of a spaceship I Scotch taped to my parent's television, fly.



And below is the first movie I shot with Felcia Mathis and friends.


So, would you guys rather instructionals go here or diary updates?  Both as I have been doing?
Follow me on YouTube for immediate video uploads. 
I only get on here every so often, as you can see, but I am working on that.

Subscribe, share, comment and please look for us on Amazon Prime, which is where we actually get paid a bit for all of this work.




No comments:

Post a Comment