Thursday, February 10, 2011

Reflecting - A Quick and Easy to Build Attachment for D-SLR Cameras

A little CYA, this is something I built for personal use.  Take and use the info at your own risk or leave it.  Your choice.  I'm not repsonsible for your camera or inability to use wire or tools safely.

OK, gang, I know most of the independent film world has embraced the Digital SLR for it's Hi-Def video and awesome ability to change lenses.  Full frame cameras like the Canon 5D Mark II are the best alternative under $10K (in my opinion) for shooting the best looking video.  The cameras have many, many strengths, but they come with some weaknesses too, especially for those of us brought up on more traditional video cameras.

The layout alone is an obstacle.  None of the obstacles of these cameras can't be overcome with add-ons, but the cost of those soon becomes an issue.  Audio monitoring, for example, can be added to a Canon 5D Mark II, but currently the best solutions for that which I've found cost in the neighborhood of $400.  That raises the cost of the camera by about 20%.  More on that in another blog.  Today I'm going to talk about how $3.00 or so worth of parts and tape can give you the ability to shoot at various angles.

Let me start by saying that I've only gotten as far as the prototype for this build, but it functions and I mostly used spare parts I had lying around the work shop.  Of course, I tend to always have 1/4inch bolts and washers on hand (and so should you).  You probably have Gaffer's tape or a reasonable equivalent and the 14 gauge wire I used could have been recycled from a wire clothes hanger instead of left over from a stop motion puppet build.  That means you'll have to buy a compact mirror.  I also bought a better quality mirror, but the compact is pre-hinged (you know, the folding make-up mirrors women carry) and it only cost $1.00.  In fact, it came with a hand mirror, so we can cal it 50 cents if I come up with a use for the other mirror and you know I will..

What this device will do is allow you to see the fixed, non-swivelling screen (if you've got a Sony with a tilting a screen you won't need this) of your camera when you hold it at low angles.

Twist the wire around itself so you have a braid .  At one end open, or leave open, a loop that your 1/4 inch mounting bolt will fit through.  A washer goes on each side.  I good sized, say 1 to 2 inch washer should go on top.  About 2 inches back (you'll be able to adjust this because you're using tape for now) attach your compact mirror.  Screw the contraption into the tripod mount of your camera and flip open the mirror.  Hold the camera at waist level and adjust the bend in the wire until you can see the view screen fully in the back mirror.  At other angles you'll be able to see it in the front mirror.  Tape the back mirror to the wire.  When you're done, it should look like this.  I covered a bit of the wire at the end that was "sharp" with a generous amount of tape.
Pretend that the bolt on top there is your camera.  I admit, this version isn't pretty, but it works and with some twisting it can help you view your screen from all sorts of angles.  The image is upside down, but I find it gave me a clear enough reflection to focus the image and at waist level I could walk and keep the camera fairly steady.  If I get a chance I'll load video later.

Try this at your own risk.  The wrong size bolt will strip your camera's threads.  (Standard is 1/4"-20) and if it flops around you can scratch your camera's pretty body.  Like I said, this needs a cleaned up version, but I like the fact that this one can be made at 3 AM after a trip to Wal-Mart if you need it on the fly and if you untape it the mirror will close and pack up nicely.

I've got a clamp light-to-light stand adapter that I'll show you another time AND the paint is drying on the 3D/HD mount. 

No comments:

Post a Comment